Sunday, June 12, 2011

Here Again!

It has been one year since I have been to Haiti.  Almost a year and a half since the earthquake hit, and three years since I stepped foot into this country, and still things are the same.  Even though relief has come, missionaries are at work, and support is here, buildings remain down, and people are still living in tents. 

As I get my bags dripping in sweat and walk onto the streets with the smell of urine I am reminded of all the work that is so desperately needed in Haiti.  Yet through all of these thoughts a huge smile comes across my face as I realize I am back in country that I love so very much.

I am greeted by my wonderful friend Sheila and her brother and we are off for a two hour drive back to her house that is around 20miles away from port-a-prince.  The roads remain broken, but I am hopeful as I see the work that is being done on them by the Haitian people.  I was exhausted from a long day of travel....so a good Haitian meal and shower were done and then off to bed I went.

The second day in Haiti was filled again with travel.  Lisa is looking for jobs in Haiti as she wants to move to Haiti soon.  A job opportunity is available for her in the city of Kenscoff so off we went to visit the orphanage that she could possibly be working in.  It was another adventurous day of travel.  We took three tap taps and one moto to get to the city. It took a total of 3 hours to get there not including our stop to eat lunch.  Lisa and I were very fortunate to have such kind friends come along with us on our travels.  The place we visited was a beautiful, but Lisa will need to pray about what to do.  When arrived back to Shelia’s house we prepared for the health fair that we would be doing on Saturday.

The day was spent learning more about Haitian culture, possible future plans in Haiti, and building stronger relationships with the people of Haiti.  The plan is to leave really early for Gonaives on Friday.

Hopefully more later cannot guarantee when!!

No comments:

Post a Comment